Saturday 10 March 2007

The Expedition Starts


Allright all,

Hope everyone is well back home, we are now underway at last i.e. the participants have arrived and the expedition has officially started. One hundred odd, predominantly 17-21 year olds arrived fresh from a twenty hour journey and without even a mention of a hotel or hostel were carted straight out to our jungle training camp, (hammocks under big tarps next to a river in the jungle). Just to really help people settle in it was about 36 degrees and 95% humidity, uncomfortable for the locals never mind new arrivals from an apparantly snow-bound UK.

Jungle camp's a pretty special place and the participants start with a few days training, having sessions on subjects like Navigation and Tool Safety led by experts in the field such as Charlotte. Unfortunatley I picked up my first expedition injury when a bungee cord detached itself from the food I was strapping into a Landrover and pinged me right between the eyes - luckily I didn't need stitches (or lose an eye) but have been walking around with steri-strips on my forehead for five days.

I had to organise the equipment and supplies then generally helped out on sessions as needed so had quite a cool few days. Following that everyone was shipped out to a Hostel in KK where we deploy the teams to their projects from. This entailed a couple of fourteen hour days and a general period of stress from my team trying to ensure the correct suppplies for three weeks of eating, building and living were in place... Anyway that is now dealt with - Charl has now spent the last couple of days toiling and laying down water pipe and I have been chilling out a bit to be honest. After the effort needed for deployment we felt a couple of slower days were more than deserved - today, other than doing a couple of bits of Landrover maintenance, have basically been for a swim and just got back from the cinema (where I saw 300, great film recommend seeing it - particuarly if you liked Sin City).

Anyway Charl will be on project for the next three weeks so will probably want to post some pictures when she returns, I start a week long road trip next friday so will hopefully be abel to post some Narly pictures of us driving through rivers and stuff !!

Thanks for all you comments (Great work Nan & Grandad in particular - good to see you online!) Munki there are some fantastic chosp shirts out here I will endeavor to pick you up one, and yes incredibly that is me in a Karaoke Bar. Despite stubborn resistance large quantities of Tiger beer eventually won out and I was soon belting out "Living on a Prayer" with the rest of them. Still, I wasn't the only one embarrasing myself, check out the village people moves from Charl !

Cheers all,

2 comments:

nickb said...

Alright Guys,

Glad to here how well it's going. Little dissapointed to here Si didn't do any roxette at the Karoke but you can't have everything i suppose.

My half marathon attempt in bath has taken a backward step as i may have damaged my knee ligament but seems fairly minor so far so still hoping for a very fast recovery- as the half marathon is in just 13 days time!

As the date at which I'd consider resigning gets ever closer (any time from April onwards) your blogs may me think more and more that there's only decision to make. And that's to put my abacus back away and get out there and do something a little more interesting.

Hope the rest of the trip continues to rock!

Fersco

Nan and Grandad said...

Hi Si & Charl.

We are still following your every move and you will have so much to tell us when you do get back. We are sitting here watching the racing from Cheltenham on a warm sunny day, we have just got the last winner so we have broken even on the day.

We think Charlotte is so brave sleeping in the jungle with all those creepy crwalies, we just hope you don't get bitten.

Glad you are both safe and sound, we will dorp you a line later. Must go the next race is about to start.

Love Nan & Grandad xxx